Pre-owned, consignment, and used pianos
Pianos n’ Pianos is the premier source in the Denver area for quality and affordable pre-owned pianos.
We carry a wide range of pre-owned instruments, from starter pianos to intermediate mid-grade instruments, to near-new pianos. We also have a wide range of piano sizes and types, from small spinet pianos to 9′ concert grand pianos, and in a variety of colors and finishes.
Why Buy from Us?
- We do not pressure our clients. We want each client to be comfortable in our store and happy with his or her purchase for many years to come.
- We also want them to know they have made an informed decision and we work hard to provide accurate and balanced information about our products.
- We help our customers to stay within their budgets. We do not do “up-sell pricing”.
- We know you have other piano purchase options and will work hard to earn your business.
See also “Why buy a pre-owned piano” below.
Most of our used pianos are consigned to us, an arrangement in which we act as a broker facilitating an agreement between the piano buyer and seller, ensuring that both parties are treated fairly. Before we accept a piano for consignment our technicians verify that the piano is in good working order or can be corrected. After acceptance we correct non-cosmetic furniture and instrument problems, and may correct cosmetic issues if cost-effective to do so.
We provide all our pre-owned and consignment pianos* with a warranty (parts and labor), and for most acoustic pianos a free trade up within 10 years.
Where our pianos come from
Except for very unusual circumstances, all our pianos have resided in Colorado since first purchased. This avoids problems that often arise with pianos that are brought to Colorado from more humid states, which results in shrinkage and cracking of wooden parts such as pin block, soundboard, and action parts. Some have been multi-owner, but many are one-owner only.
The situations that result in our acquiring pianos on consignment are quite varied. Typical situations are home downsizing, moving out of state, estate liquidations, divorce settlements, and lack of use, often because children who once played have grown up and moved away.
We also acquire pianos from trade-ups, in which previous customers trade in their piano for a large or better piano.
Why buy a pre-owned piano?
Probably the biggest benefit of purchasing a pre-owned piano is value. One obtains considerably more for the money.
In addition, many piano companies that produced world-class pianos in the 1900s have since gone out of business, but many of their pianos are now available as pre-owned instruments. Buying one of these pianos instead of a new piano is analogous to buying a Stradivarius violin instead of a new violin, yet they are often available a prices that are a small fraction of new piano prices.
Many of the older pianos have “stabilized”, having reached an equilibrium with the humidity in Colorado such that you are not likely to have the sticking keys, tuning changes, and other issues that are associated with the “settling period” of new pianos.
Finally, some vintage pianos have enhanced value due to their historical significance. For example, a piano that was introduced at a World’s Fair, built the year the Statue of Liberty was first dedicated, or built in the buyer’s birth year would likely be very desirable to certain buyers.
Why buy a pre-owned piano from Pianos n’ Pianos?
Yes, you can purchased a pre-owned piano on Craigslist or eBay or from another used piano dealer. But here are some things we offer that make our pre-owned pianos exceptional values and worry free.
- we provide warranties on all pre-owned pianos. These warranties include both parts and labor and cover all moving parts, including strings;
- our technicians pre-screen all our consignment pianos to ensure that there are no problems and that they are sound musical instruments;
- we tune all consignment pianos, and provide an in-home tuning after delivery (typically six weeks after);
- we use a professional delivery service that ensures your piano arrives in the condition it left the store and is properly set up. This is particularly important for pianos that have add-ons such as humidifiers and player systems;
- typically 80% of our business is in affordable pre-owned pianos, and we have developed and cherish the great reputation we have in this area. We strive to offer our customers the best possible values and to find the right piano to meet each customer’s needs.
We provide used pianos, consignment pianos, and pre-owned pianos in Colorado and cities including Littleton, Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, Denver, Centennial, Englewood, Arvada, Evergreen, Conifer, Morrison, Ken Caryl Valley, Castle Rock, Fort Collins, Longmont, and Colorado Springs.
* some exceptions are made for certain digital pianos.